Ramblings and rants about the amusing, stupid things that happen to me in and around Cincinnati.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I Am Dying For A Cigarette!

Probably literally.

It's been over 72 hours since I've smoked. This is not an easy task, kids. I almost lit one up last night thinking nobody would know any better. But you know what? It doesn't matter! I would have known and I'm the one that absolutely needs to quit!

I came across an interesting post on the WOXY boards today about the benefits of quitting. And now I realize how stupid I've been for smoking all of these years. I never had a clue that my circulation problems were a cause of smoking. The last two years I've gone to Las Vegas, my left foot does stupid shit that makes me unable to walk. Obviously a circulation problem. Hopefully, I've stopped the nonsense in time before doing permanent damage. I suppose I should talk to my doctor about this. I will during my next appointment.

Anyway, I can't believe how much better I feel already. What a fucked-up habit.

Kids, please do not smoke. There are so many impurities in a cigarette and those impurities do a lot of damage.

Geez, I am so going to quit...I promise. Anyway, here's the post I came across which I have hanging everywhere I may be tempted to smoke. I have to get through this. Any words of encouragement would be great!

------------------------------------------------------------------

At 20 minutes after quitting:
blood pressure decreases
pulse rate drops
body temperature of hands and feet increases.

At 8 hours:
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:
chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:
nerve endings start regrowing
ability to smell and taste improve

At 2 weeks to 3 months:
circulation improves
walking becomes easier
lung function increases

From 1 to 9 months:
Starting as early as a month after you quit smoking, and continuing for the next several months, you may notice significant improvements in these areas:
coughing
sinus congestion
fatigue
shortness of breath

At 1 Year smoke free:
excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker

At 2 years:
chances of achieving long-term success with quitting tobacco increases significantly

At 5 years:
from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.

At 10 years:
risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers
risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases
risk of ulcer decreases

At 15 years:
risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked
risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked

3 Comments:

Blogger TylerM said...

Good for you! Smoking is way bad for you!

2:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gotta tell you, the support I've received from the WOXY boards has truly helped to keep me from lighting up!

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Rochelle said...

Interesting to find you in here Barb. Glad you still haven't given in...haven't heard a mention of it recently on the air.

Keep up the good work. and, you really play the best tunes EVAH!

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home